Food Waste Funder Circle - ReFED Inc.
Help Fund the Fight Against Food Waste
The Food Waste Funder Circle (FWFC) is a network designed for private, public, and philanthropic funders interested in using their capital to solve food waste challenges. Co-founded by ReFED and Upcycled Food Association, the FWFC offers a curated platform for funder education, collaboration, and investment to help drive the capital flow needed to reach national and international goals to reduce food waste by 50% by the year 2030.
Membership in the FWFC is free and open to both individual investors and representatives from funder organizations.
As a member of the FWFC, you’ll get access to regular programming about investing in food waste innovations; deal flow reports and pitches from solution providers that are actively fundraising; opportunities to work with like-minded funders on industry challenges; and more.
A sampling of FWFC members is below. For the full list of public members, click here.
Member Benefits At-A-Glance:
Why Fund Solutions to Food Waste?
Food waste is a major driver of climate change, which is affecting the ability of cropland and water resources to produce the amount of food needed to feed our growing population. According to the U.S. EPA, annually food waste produces more greenhouse gas emissions than 42 coal-fired power plants, uses enough water and energy to supply more than 50 million homes, and requires an area of agricultural land equal to California and New York. Importantly, uneaten food is the number one product entering landfills, where it has the highest generation potential for methane, an anthropogenic greenhouse gas that’s 80 times more potent than carbon dioxide.
It's also a major drag on our economy, and food that’s currently being wasted could go to support the more than 40 million Americans struggling with food insecurity. (Learn more about the impact of food waste here.)
By reducing food waste, we can cut greenhouse gas emissions, save water, create jobs, and recover food for those in need. And that reduction comes with a significant financial benefit too. ReFED estimates that an annual investment of $14 billion over the next ten years can not only reduce food waste by more than 50% each year but also result in an annual net financial benefit of $73 billion – a five-to-one return.
With the Food Waste Funder Circle, ReFED is partnering with funders to accelerate the flow of capital to reach our 2030 food waste reduction target and attain the resulting financial, social, and environmental benefits.
Detailed Member Offerings
Membership in the FWFC is free.
All FWFC members receive at no cost:
- Market update newsletters highlighting industry news and events
- Monthly deal flow reports, which list active investment opportunities in the sector
- Quarterly educational events with like-minded funders from across the capital spectrum
- Access to bi-weekly pitch events, as well as a repository of recorded pitch events and company profiles
- Opportunities to participate in bespoke “deep dives” on particular issues through special working groups
- Access to one (1) dedicated “office hour” session with ReFED and/or its program partners
For members seeking a greater level of involvement in the FWFC in addition to the above offerings, the following benefits* are available:
- Receive deal flow reports in real time, in addition to the monthly consolidated report
- Participate in closed-door Q&A sessions after each pitch event to build direct connections with innovative solution providers
- Provide input on topic areas and design of the working groups, which will focus the efforts of FWFC members on key areas of concern or interest
- Access in-depth strategic advisory sessions on solution, technology, and market opportunities through up to six (6) "office hours" with ReFED and/or our program partners
- Gain early access and/or discounts to in-person events, such as ReFED’s Food Waste Solutions Summit (May 10-12, 2022 in Minneapolis, MN)
* Access to these additional benefits requires an annual fee of $1,500 for organizations with assets or AUM under $20 million and $3,000 for organizations with assets or AUM of $20 million or more.
The following opportunities are available for members and others who are interested in sponsoring elements of the FWFC:
We’re curating a series of special events specifically for FWFC members, who can participate in real time or by viewing videos after each event. Learn from leaders and experts across the food system on various food waste topics such as the climate/food waste connection; how policy and infrastructure plans under the new administration can open up food waste solutions funding opportunities; the role of blended finance vehicles in scaling innovation in food waste solutions; and more.
We host bi-weekly pitch events where FWFC members can hear from high-impact food waste solution providers who are seeking funding to grow scalable and effective technologies and services in the sector. Recordings of pitch events are available to all members of the FWFC and will be sent out by email on a monthly basis. Once a quarter, in lieu of a pitch event, we will hold an Innovation Demo Day, which will feature solution providers that are demonstrating their innovations, organized around a particular thematic area, like compostable packaging or waste-derived products.
Food Waste Funders Circle Public Members
The following individuals and organizations are public members of the Food Waste Funder Circle. We're excited to have you join them.